Madeline Anz Slay and her husband, Michael, live and work in Balcones Heights.In this 2009 article, published in the San Antonio Business Journal, Madeline discusses several of the reasons why her and her husband decided to put down roots in the Balcones Heights community due to the ideal location, the allure of the community and the opportunities for area redevelopment and revitalization.
Madeline has made a considerable investment of time and money into the local community in an effort to help it grow and thrive. The following list compiles some of her experience and involvement in her community as a leader, citizen and philanthropist.
City of Balcones Heights Planning and Zoning Commission (2006 – 2012)
- Served on Commission as member until 2008
- 2008 voted Chair of the Commission
- As Chair, working on modifications to zoning ordinances to enhance community
- Instrumental in creating City’s new master plan. Had to step down once became elected for City Council in 2012
City of Balcones Heights Convention and Visitor’s Bureau (2007 – 2012)
- Served on Board of Directors
- Worked closely with City and VIA to ensure that the new Bus Rapid Transit is beneficial to all, especially to the citizen’s of Balcones Heights
- Created and delivered presentation for Town Hall meetings for residents to help all understand BRT and its benefits and effect on the City
City of Balcones Heights
- 2011 Created Life in The Heights Foundation: a non-profit that benefits the citizens
- 2012 Elected Official for City Council Place 2
- 2014 Re-elected as Councilwoman for Place 2